While preparing a message from the book of Malachi the Lord illuminated Malachi 2:17.
Ye have wearied the Lord with your words. Yet ye say, Wherein have we wearied him? When ye say, Every one that doeth evil is good in the sight of the Lord, And he delighteth in them; Or, Where is the God of judgment?
I pondered, “The Omnipotent God said their words wearied Him.”
How is it, He who bears every care, He who wipes tears and records them, He who watches sparrows, and He who know the hairs of our head (my head included) said the words of His people wearied Him?
I reflected and researched. I learned: God wearies. (see the passages below)
I never considered I could weary God. Do you weary God?
Scripture teaches God wearies with five things. He wearies with our wrongdoing, our sin-filled hearts, our spiritless worship, our resistance of His Spirit, and our silly objections.
Did you weary God yesterday? Are you wearying Him today? Last Sunday, did you bring spiritless and lifeless worship? Did you use silly words whining why God had not moved in a matter important to you?
Let us seek His word and ways. Let us evict spiritless formal worship from our lives. When His Spirit leads, follow. When the heathen prosper, don’t whine, remember God is working out His plan.
I do not want to weary Him. Do you? Leave a comment below and let me know what you think.
Below you will find the passages I thought of when I wrote the article above.
1. God wearies with our iniquities. (Iniquities are when I do wrong according to God’s righteousness.) Thou hast bought me no sweet cane with money, Neither hast thou filled me with the fat of thy sacrifices: But thou hast made me to serve with thy sins, Thou hast wearied me with thine iniquities. Isaiah 43:24
2. God wearies with our formal Godless worship. Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: They are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them. Isaiah 1:14
3. God wearies with our sin-filled hearts and ignorance of God’s way. Forty years long was I grieved with this generation, And said, It is a people that do err in their heart, And they have not known my ways: Psalm 95:10
4. God wearies with our resistance of his Spirit. But they rebelled, and vexed his holy Spirit: Therefore he was turned to be their enemy, and he fought against them. Isaiah 63:10
5. God wearies with our silly whining, objections, and rebellions. Ye have wearied the Lord with your words. Yet ye say, Wherein have we wearied him? When ye say, Every one that doeth evil is good in the sight of the Lord, And he delighteth in them; Or, Where is the God of judgment? Malachi 2:17 .